- Act Now
- Open Internet
- Promoting Creativity
- Open & Accessible Technology
With the dawn of new digital technologies, copyright policy has entered a radically different phase. Ubiquitous computers and Internet access have made just about everyone a creator with a stake in copyright policymaking. The ability to register works online and to access the registry online is of the utmost importance.
Public Knowledge’s Position
Public Knowledge urges the US Copyright Office to modernize both the operation of the copyright registry and its approach to policymaking in order to fully enter the digital world and provide information, transparency, and efficiency for creators and all Americans.
PK has published a white paper A Copyright Office for the 21st Century: Recommendation to the New Register of Copyrights, which outlines 10 basic recommendations formodernizing the US Copyright Office.
Among those recommendations, here are our top priorities for the Copyright Office:
- Updating the copyright registration system so that it can meet the demands of modern copyright.
- Recognizing that copyright policymaking is no longer a sleepy backwater followed by a handful of copyright holders and their lawyers.
What you can do to help
- Subscribe to our email list for updates on hot issues and events.
- Donate to Public Knowledge to help us keep our doors open.
- Give policy makers a piece of your mind: act now.
For more information