- This event has passed.
Will Local Journalism Survive the Pandemic?
April 23, 2020 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Local journalism has long faced challenges to its survival, and the COVID-19 pandemic presents a new threat of extinction. But, it’s one of our most essential resources, especially in the fight to counter misinformation online. Even as people turn to local journalism outlets more for information on the pandemic in their communities, local media operations are facing significant losses of advertising revenue and cutting staff and circulation throughout the nation.
Join us on Thursday for a discussion with a panel of experts on short- and long-term policy solutions to supporting local journalism, including specific suggestions for the upcoming COVID-19 stimulus bills.
– Craig Aaron, Co-CEO, Free Press
– Steve Waldman, Co-Founder, Report for America
– Frances Murphy Draper, CEO & Publisher, Afro-American Newspapers
– Joaquin Alvarado, Executive Director, Project Accelerate at The Seattle Times
– Lisa Macpherson, Senior Policy Fellow, Public Knowledge
– Charlotte Slaiman, Competition Policy Director, Public Knowledge, Moderator
We’ll send call-in information to registrants in advance of the call.