Job Opening: Development Manager
Summary: The Development Manager will play a key role in Public Knowledge’s mission to promote freedom of expression, an open internet, and access to affordable communications tools and creative works in the U.S. and globally.
This position is responsible for working with the President, Leadership team, Board of Directors and program staff for planning and coordinating all aspects of fund development for Public Knowledge. Provide leadership on all fundraising initiatives including special events, major gifts, planned giving, sponsorships, donor cultivation and grant writing. Identify, organize and manage the fundraising activities of the organization with a focus on new opportunities to obtain ongoing and increased support from foundations, corporations, public and private organizations, and individuals.
Position Status: Full-time
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Public Knowledge Finance and HR Director
Primary Roles & Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive written annual resource development plan with strategies for donors and prospects in each constituent group including: individuals, foundations, organizations, corporations, etc. to be approved by the board.
- Provide monthly reports to the Finance Director, President and the board, which measure progress towards achieving the plan.
- Broaden Public Knowledge’s fundraising by developing approaches such as planned giving, solicitation of bequests, and online giving programs.
Grant requests and administration
- Research and write grants, with input from program and senior staff.
- Provide timely reporting and ensure compliance as required by grant award documentation.
- Ensure that the donor database information is current and accurate.
- Acknowledgement of all gifts and donations.
- Create and implement strategies for donor development and cultivation that will provide a diverse and sustainable funding base for Public Knowledge.
- Keep up-to-date on current fundraising programs, practices and procedures used in the nonprofit sector and inform the leadership of items that would benefit Public Knowledge.
- Create and implement major gifts program, planned giving program, and employer-match program.
- Identify and pursue new sources of corporate and foundation funding.
- Build and maintain relationships with major donors of all types, develop strategies for solicitation, and solicit or coordinate the solicitation by other affiliate staff, board or volunteers, as appropriate.
- Create and update collateral materials to support gift cultivation.
- Manage or oversee all Public Knowledge events.
- Work with appropriate staff to ensure that all aspects of a successful event are coordinated towards a common goal.
- Develop and solicit sponsors for events as needed.
- B.A./B.S. preferred with an emphasis or concentration in business, marketing, public relations or related field.
- 2-5 years professional development and fundraising experience.
- Nonprofit development and fundraising experience preferred.
- Advanced PC skills and expert proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Donor database experience desirable).
- Desire to work as part of a team and willingness to promote the principles and views of Public Knowledge.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision – self-motivated & confident.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work well with people from all backgrounds with varying degrees of experience.
- Ability to inspire, train, motivate, challenge and supervise volunteers.
- Confident public speaking and able to express ideas verbally and in writing.
Compensation: Public Knowledge provides competitive compensation, excellent benefits and opportunities for professional growth.
To Apply: Send a resume including salary history; cover letter stating your interest in Public Knowledge, and a writing samples (max. 5 pages each) to: email@example.com, with the subject line “Development Manager.” Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis beginning April 19, 2016; open until filled.