Job Opening: Development Manager
Summary: The Development Manager will play a key role in Public Knowledge’s mission to promote freedom of expression, an open internet, and access to affordable communications tools and creative works in the U.S. and globally.
This position is responsible for working with the President, leadership team, Board of Directors, and program staff for planning and coordinating all aspects of fund development for Public Knowledge. Manage and support all fundraising initiatives including special events, major gifts, planned giving, sponsorships, donor cultivation and grant writing. Identify, organize and manage the fundraising activities of the organization with a focus on new opportunities to obtain ongoing and increased support from foundations, corporations, public and private organizations, and individuals.
Position Status: Full-time
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Chief of Staff
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive written annual resource development plan with strategies for donors and prospects in each constituent group including: individuals, foundations, organizations, corporations, etc., to be approved by the board.
- Provide monthly reports to the leadership team and the board measuring progress towards achieving the plan.
- Broaden Public Knowledge’s fundraising by developing approaches such as planned giving, solicitation of bequests, and online giving programs.
Grant Requests and Administration
- Research and write grants, with input from program and senior staff.
- Provide timely reporting and ensure compliance as required by grant award documentation.
- Ensure that the donor database information is current and accurate.
- Acknowledge all gifts and donations.
- Create and implement strategies for donor development and cultivation that will provide a diverse and sustainable funding base for Public Knowledge.
- Keep up-to-date on current fundraising programs, practices, and procedures used in the nonprofit sector and inform the leadership of items that would benefit Public Knowledge.
- Create and implement major gifts program, planned giving program, and employer-match program.
- Build and maintain relationships with major donors of all types, develop strategies for solicitation, and solicit or coordinate the solicitation by other affiliate staff, board, or volunteers, as appropriate.
- Identify and pursue new sources of corporate and foundation funding.
- Assist with prospect management of major gift donors and prospective donors; document movement with prospects and relationship with PK.
- Create and update collateral materials to support gift cultivation.
- Work with communications team to create and target fundraising campaigns.
- Manage or oversee all Public Knowledge events.
- Coordinate site visits, selection of venues, contract negotiations, catering, audio and visual rentals, and all other vendor related relations for events.
- Work with appropriate staff to ensure that all aspects of a successful event are coordinated towards a common goal.
- Develop and solicit sponsors for events as needed.
- Develop a working knowledge of PK’s public policy issues and teams to make it possible to manage and oversee outreach and for events, including policy panels, policy events, and fundraising gatherings and outreach.
- Support the Board of Directors by preparing updates and briefing materials and coordinating meetings.
- Assist/manage outreach events as necessary. Identify locations and audiences for such events.
- Serve as backup to the office management team occasionally if needed.
- B.A./B.S. preferred with an emphasis or concentration in business, marketing, public relations, or related field.
- 2-5 years professional development and fundraising experience.
- Nonprofit development and fundraising experience preferred.
- Desire to work as part of a team and willingness to promote the principles and views of Public Knowledge.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision – self-motivated and confident.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work well with people from all backgrounds with varying degrees of experience.
- Confident public speaking and able to express ideas verbally and in writing.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.