Job Opening: Director of Government Affairs
Position Summary: The Director of Government Affairs will lead Public Knowledge’s day-to-day government affairs work, including spearheading strategy development, advocacy activities, and relationship building in Congress, at Federal agencies, within the Executive Branch and across the public interest field.
Position Status: Full‐time
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports to: President and CEO
- Direct Public Knowledge’s government affairs strategy and outreach for all issues including privacy, net neutrality, platform competition, access to broadband, copyright modernization, emerging technologies and other issues
- Supervise government affairs area staff
- Develop and implement Public Knowledge’s policy and advocacy strategy
- Obtain up to date information on technology legislative matters before Congress
- Meet with key policymakers at the Federal Trade Commission, the White House, Congress and elsewhere to build support for strong privacy policies
- Convene and work in coalition with various stakeholder groups to develop priorities and strategies to achieve strong privacy policies and to implement those strategies
- Serve as a resource to allies and other non-D.C. based groups in building advocacy strategy and relationships with policymakers
- Supervise development of Public Knowledge advocacy materials
- Serve as a spokesperson and resource to the media within areas of expertise
- Serve on Public Knowledge’s leadership team and play a role in organizational strategy and management
- Law or other graduate degree a plus
- Five or more years of experience with Capitol Hill, Federal agencies, issue advocacy, or other relevant policy-related experience
- Leadership and deep experience with the legislative process
- Experience with technology policy preferred
- Experience conducting legislative or issue advocacy and developing partnerships with a wide range of organizations and constituencies
- Experience overseeing or drafting legal/advocacy documents such as briefs and model legislation preferred
- Full comprehension of the influences of the regulatory and government agencies
- Demonstrated ability to create advocacy strategies
- Previous management of staff preferred
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Sound judgment and ability to analyze situations and information
- Strong communications and media skills
- A creative self-starter who can devise new, innovative outreach methods
- A willingness and ability to learn complex technological and legal issues quickly
- The ability to produce high-quality results on tight deadlines
Compensation: Public Knowledge provides competitive compensation, excellent benefits and opportunities for professional growth.
To Apply: Send a resume, salary requirements, cover letter stating your interest in Public Knowledge, 2-3 professional references, and at least one writing sample (max. 5 pages each) to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “PK Director of Government Affairs.” Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until February 15, 2020.
About Public Knowledge: Public Knowledge is a nearly 20 year old Washington D.C.-based, nonprofit, public interest group working to promote a creative and connected future. Public Knowledge is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, ethnicity, sexual or gender orientation, religion or physical ability. For more information on us, visit PublicKnowledge.org.