Job Opening: Government Affairs Associate
Position Summary: The Government Affairs Associate will play a key role in implementing Public Knowledge's government affairs strategy, through constituency building, strategizing and relationship building in Congress, at Federal agencies, and across the public interest field.
Position Status: Full-time
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Vice President, Government Affairs
- Assist in developing and implementing Public Knowledge's legislative and outreach strategy
- Obtaining up to date information on legislative matters within the House of Representatives and Senate
- Representing Public Knowledge at relevant conferences, events, coalition meetings, and before policy-making bodies such as Congress, the Federal Communications Commission, the Federal Trade Commission, and the Copyright Office.
- Researching and drafting congressional testimony for legislative hearings on telecommunications and copyright policy
- Serves as a resource to allies and other non-D.C. based groups in building advocacy strategy and relationships with policymakers
- Maintaining contact with a diverse array of constituencies aligned with the goals of Public Knowledge
- Coordinate development of Public Knowledge advocacy materials
- A college graduate with a passion for public policy and knowledge and interest in technology
- Minimum of 2-4 years of Capitol Hill, Federal agency, or relevant experience
- Familiarity with legislative matters regarding technology policy preferred
- Experience conducting outreach and developing partnerships with a wide range of organizations and constituencies
- Strong communications skills
- A creative self-starter that can devise new, innovative outreach methods
- A willingness and ability to learn complex technological and legal issues quickly
- The ability to produce high‐quality results on tight deadlines and with little oversight
Compensation: Public Knowledge provides competitive compensation, excellent benefits and opportunities for professional growth.
To Apply: Send a resume including salary history; cover letter stating your interest in Public Knowledge, and at least one writing sample (max. 5 pages each) to: email@example.com, with the subject line “Government Affairs Associate.” The deadline for applications is February 13, 2015.
Public Knowledge is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual or gender orientation, religion or physical ability.