Tell Congress to Save Net NeutralityLearn More About Net Neutrality
Job Opening: Legal Director / Senior Policy Counsel
Position Summary: We are looking for a highly qualified Legal Director and Senior Policy Counsel to join our great team. This position is responsible for developing, implementing, and overseeing legal and policy strategy on issues related to communications, technology, and copyright law.
Position Status: Full-time
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Public Knowledge President
- Provide leadership on organization’s legal strategy and policy priorities.
- Supervision and oversight of legal and policy work of legal and policy staff.
- Provide legal advice and policy direction to the organization on a range of issues including but not limited to internet, telecommunications, copyright, and patent law and policy.
- Manage legal brief writing and litigation. Provide guidance, substantive legal analysis, and writing on regulatory filings, legislation, white papers, testimony, and op-eds.
- Represent the organization in discussions with multiple stakeholders (e.g. public interest and business groups, regulators, legislators) and as an advocate before policymakers.
- Speak with the press, appear as necessary on radio or TV, and communicate on social media and through blog posts.
- Cultivate legal and policy skills of early career attorneys through active supervision and mentorship.
- Collaborate with management on effective organizational strategies; provide advice on organizational legal and compliance issues.
- 7-10+ years experience in a legal policy role
- Law degree from an accredited U.S. law school; active bar membership or ability to activate by start date
- Desire to be a proactive driver in the policy debate and a leader in the organization
- Experience with copyright and related intellectual property legal and policy issues
- Experience with trade policies related to intellectual property
- Relevant experience in at least one of the following areas: internet, communications, technology, or copyright law and/or policy
- Experience with patent law and policy a plus
- Proven leadership and/or management experience and commitment to working as part of a team
- Substantial political and organizing/advocacy experience a plus
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest advocacy
- Interest and ability to mentor and develop the advocacy skills of fellows and early career attorneys
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage evolving projects and priorities
- Sophisticated understanding of the influences in the legal, legislative, and regulatory process
- Demonstrated ability to create proactive and defensive legal and policy strategies
- Ability to counsel senior management, including the ability to clearly and succinctly communicate risks on legal matters and policies
- Sound judgment and ability to analyze situations and information
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
Compensation: Public Knowledge provides compensation based on experience and competitive with other public advocacy organizations, excellent benefits, and opportunities for professional growth.
To Apply: Send a resume including salary history, cover letter regarding your interest in Public Knowledge, and two writing samples (max. 5 pages each) to email@example.com, with the subject line Legal Director. Application deadline May 19, 2019.