Job Opening: Policy Advocate
Position Summary: The Policy Advocate will play a key role in the development of Public Knowledge’s approach to promoting innovation, consumer rights, and the free flow of information. The Policy Advocate position presents a rare opportunity for a hard-working, creative advocate to work in a cutting-edge issue area and to become a public figure in the field.
Position Status: Full-time
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Public Knowledge President and Vice President
Application Deadline: January 16th, 2015
- Represent the organization before policy making bodies, such as Congress, the Federal Communications Commission, the Federal Trade Commission, and the Copyright Office
- Prepare and/or assist with preparation of filings for submission in administrative proceedings and before courts
- Write articles and blog posts about current communications and technology policy issues
- Represent Public Knowledge before audiences at conferences, meetings and press events
- Maintain contact with a diverse array of constituencies aligned with the goals of PK
- Work with reporters, bloggers and other media outlets as needed
- Either a law degree and at least two years of experience in communications, technology or copyright law and/or policy OR a bachelor’s degree and more substantial experience in communications, technology, or copyright law and policy
- Experience with economics, antitrust and competition law, or other facets of technology law
- Familiarity with Congress and the administrative rulemaking processes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge and interest in evolving technologies
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to produce high‐quality results on tight deadlines and with little oversight
Compensation: Public Knowledge provides competitive compensation, excellent benefits and opportunities for professional growth.
To Apply: Send a resume including salary history; cover letter stating your interest in Public Knowledge, and two writing samples (max. 5 pages each) to: email@example.com, with the subject line “Policy Advocate.” Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis beginning December 4, 2014; open until filled.
Public Knowledge is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, age, sexual or gender orientation, religion or physical ability.