Job Opening: Senior Counsel, Intellectual Property
Position Summary: The Senior Counsel is responsible for developing and implementing strategies to advocate for the public interest in intellectual property policy, including patent reform and balanced IP laws that serve the interests of consumers, innovators, and technology users.
Position Status: Full-time
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Public Knowledge General Counsel
- Develop and implement strategies to advocate for balanced federal intellectual property policies and patent reform.
- Meet with key policymakers at the White House, the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, the International Trade Commission, the Copyright Office, Congress, and elsewhere to build support for intellectual property reform.
- Convene and/or work in coalition with various stakeholder groups to develop priorities and strategies to achieve more balanced copyright policies and patent reform, and to implement those strategies.
- Make the case for intellectual property reform by gathering existing research and commissioning new research.
- Work with Public Knowledge’s General Counsel and legal team to select ”high impact” intellectual property cases in which to file amicus curiae briefs on behalf of Public Knowledge and its public interest allies.
- Work with Public Knowledge’s communications and campaign teams to develop communications and campaign strategies around intellectual property reform intended to educate and activate the public and policymakers.
- A law degree and at least five years of experience in intellectual property, communications, and/or other technology law and policy; OR a bachelor’s degree and more substantial experience in intellectual property, communications, and/or other technology law and policy.
- Experience with patent law and policy preferred, including practice experience in patent litigation and/or prosecution.
- Experience with copyright and related intellectual legal and policy issues.
- Experience with trade policies related to intellectual property.
- Substantial policy and/or political experience.
- Experience drafting legal documents such as briefs and model legislation.
- Ability to counsel senior management, including the ability to clearly and succinctly communicate risks on intellectual property or communications matters and policies.
- Knowledge of the authority and processes of relevant government agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to create legal defensive or proactive strategies.
- Proven leadership and /or management experience.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Sound judgment and ability to analyze situations and information.
- Outstanding communication skills.
Compensation: Public Knowledge provides competitive compensation, excellent benefits, and opportunities for professional growth.
To Apply: Send a resume including salary history; cover letter stating your interest in Public Knowledge, and two writing samples (max. 5 pages each) to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Senior Counsel.” Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until February 6, 2018; open until filled.